Copyright

All photo's are Copyright of Scott Swalling or the tagged Photographer. (Background photo Scott Swalling Photography).

About Me:

24Hr MTBike racer and general bike rider, climber and mountaineer. Good coffee drinker and cake eater (any cake, seriously, don't leave your cake laying around). Also, I like to try new things that challenge me.

Thursday 12 April 2012

Alpkit Bits

Last week I got two parcels from Alpkit. They are providing the Denali team with some good support with some stuff sacs, utensils, Ti pot and mug, a cheeky down, padded cell sacs and the first of the tents, the Heksa.

Where to start, well first. Thank you again Col and Alpkit.  The kit looks premium and looks ever bit up to the job it is designed for as my Thud, Hunka, my Nik's Pipedream and other stuff sacs have been.

Where to start? Well the Heksa is just a brilliant tent, big sturdy and very quick to set up, 10-15 minutes for the first go. The vestibules are huge and can take loads of kit and bags upon bags of food, needed for a 24hr MTB race. Inside the tent there is so much room, Alpkit say 4, that is in luxury.  I would say 6 would be comfy and with all those pockets and hang loops that carefully spread the load and those fore mention vestibules your gear will be safe and sound too.

One of the large vestibules.
The Heksa looming large behind the pit at 24Hrs of Exposure.

The first night I had in it, the rain was heavy and the windy picked right up and the tent stood as if it was still, a good start as this may end up on Denali as our base camp tent.

To the other bits. We as a team have also ordered some great bits and pieces from Alpkit at a very good discount and so far I have managed to start testing the following bits out.

Alpkit goodies.

The Padded Cell 1, 2, 3 and 4.  These are ideal for keeping items such as phones, eReaders, even your water bottle warm and in the case of the electronics dry.  The padded construction also gives extra impact protection and has already been tested with my camera and eReader.  Both are still working fine.  The bags are light as well so no additional weight issues for the weight weenies. Shown above.

Apollo II stuff sacs, what can I say, light and tough and do a good job of organizing bits in your holdall or rucksac. They come in a range of colours and sizes (see photo above) to help the organizing.

Airlok, I haven't tested these yet, but I soon will and will post an update.

MytiPot and MytiMug. Very light and tough, and retain the heat really well for such thin Ti.  The size of the mug is just great and allows you to pour loads of tea and coffee down your throat without it getting cold.  I found with the lid on I could leave my tea sat for about 5 minutes in 4C before I noticed any real temperature difference a good surprise.  But lets be fair we are more interested in the weight, strength and volume.  They both deliver here and I look forward to nestling these inside the bigger exped pot and keeping the weight down on Denali.

MytiPot, Mug and Tirons

Tirons, these are brilliant little utensils and will still be going strong when I retire from climbing and biking I suspect.  Light, tough and quite nice to handle. Pretty cool to look at as well.

Tirons

I also got a lovely down and it has been keeping me snug on the unexpected cold nights recently and I love the fact that the hood overlaps well but can be removed.  It has good sized pockets and whilst it won't head to Denali. It will head to loads of races with me and to ice climbing venues in Europe, it packs down well and provides loads of warmth for its weight.

I know the above, does actually make me sound like a weight weenie, but I want to save weight and not quality for the trip to Denali so as to make sure things are not even tougher.  Plus with a few future plans both bike, ski and climbing oriented, lightweight quality kit is needed and so far all the above is proving to fit that bill.

S

No comments: