Copyright

All photo's are Copyright of Scott Swalling or the tagged Photographer. (Background photo Scott Swalling Photography).

About Me:

24Hr MTBike racer and general bike rider, climber and mountaineer. Good coffee drinker and cake eater (any cake, seriously, don't leave your cake laying around). Also, I like to try new things that challenge me.

Monday 26 May 2008

Summer Mountain Leader - Training Weekend 1

I recently decided to get my act together in regard to becoming an outdoor instructor and leader, with a long term goal of gaining the Mountain Instructor Award (MIA) and just maybe the Mountain Instructor Certificate (MIC).

Anyway, to get there I need to achieve a few short term goals, which I had put off until now.

On 10th/11th May 08, I attended the first weekend of a 3 weekend course run by Adventure Unlimited.  The training course is to gain my Summer Mountain Leader Certificate, which allows me to lead groups in summer conditions in the UK mountain regions, over certain terrain.

This first weekend would prove to be an excellent time to refresh old skills, learn some new skills, get out in The Peak District in very rare sun and to meet a group of new people, with very similar goals as myself.

The two days saw a lot of time concentrating of navigation and the environment we were in, a bit to do with group management and a fair amount of bonding over Giles love of wearing ladies underwear. :-p  He doesn’t really!

For myself and the others, I think the weekend went well.  I received, better than expected feedback and was quite happy that the areas I felt weaker in had improved or it was more a matter of personal confidence.

This is a very brief summary of that weekend a few weeks back, but I am getting old and my memory is not what it was.  However, I was left looking forward to the next training weekend, which would see us in The Lakes District, an area I love, but have not been able to get back to for nearly 2 years.

No comments: