Copyright

All photo's are Copyright of Scott Swalling or the tagged Photographer. (Background photo Scott Swalling Photography).

About Me:

24Hr MTBike racer and general bike rider, climber and mountaineer. Good coffee drinker and cake eater (any cake, seriously, don't leave your cake laying around). Also, I like to try new things that challenge me.

Monday 7 August 2017

Sonder Camino Ti by Alpkit

Sometime ago,as part of the Sonder Bikes marketing photo shoot and video, I as fortunate enough to ride the Sonder Camino Ti.  It is rare I jump on a bike and want to buy one with in a few minutes.  But with the exception of the SRAM components I really wanted to own one.

Being more incline to build a bespoke Camino Ti, the time came for me to order my rolling chassis (frame, fork, and wheels) and strip down the old KR810 for components.  Below is the bespoke build of my Camino.

All good things start with a nice frame with smooth welds as shown below. Campagnolo (Campag) BB, Thompson seat post and Campag front mech hanger installed.


 Next a Hope headset, Wolf Tooth Components steerer spacers, Easton EA90 stem and SLX bars.



Campag Chorus crankset and 53/44 chain rings, Chorus front and rear mech.


Stopping power provided by TRP HY/RD, with Alligator discs (not pictured).  Originally had planned to use TRP Spyre.  However, on fitting I found that even when shimmed, the clearance provided by the disc mount on the Love Mud hub was at least 1.5mm less (when I measured) than that of Hope hubs and the actuator on the inner side of the break would collide with the spokes.  My MonsterX now adorns the Spyres (possibly the best mechanical disc break on the market).


Next Specialized 143 Toupe saddle, Chorus shifters and Hudz hoods, Love Mud Orbit wheels, Ultegra 11/28 11spd cassette (this works seamlessly with the Campag and was required as the Love Mud hubs don't have a Campag free hub option at present) shod with WTB Riddler 47c tyres (these tyres are brilliant for gravel, cross, beach racing and mixed commuting, so good I got a set for the MonsterX) and Hope skewers.



Looking alright (steerer is now cut down to correct size, I needed to ride it both off road and on to find a flexible set of spacers with steerer cut to a sensible length).

Finally, some cables, Specliazed bar tape and bottle cages, Campag 11spd chain, Shimano XT pedals (Look KEO for the road) and the aforementioned Alligator 160mm discs.


Ride Report:

I have been riding the Camino Ti in road or gravel guise for the past 5 months and I can safely say it hasn't disappointed one bit. It is agile and fast across the terrain it is designed for.  Very comfortable and ensured my body didn't suffer much at all during the Dirty Reiver 200 this year.  It accelerates well off and on road, and with the 28c Specialized Rubaix tyres it is brilliant on the rough and often grot covered roads of Surrey and Hampshire.  It is a little heavier than the Enigma and Seven bikes, but that would be it's only drawback I can see against these brands having ridden and researched them over the years.  But is a fun, fast and comfortable frame set and the Love Mud wheel set is reliable despite the tiny issue with break fitting I encountered.

Sonder has a range of SRAM and Shimano options for complete bikes, and have built a couple bespoke versions as well, of course there is always the the build your own from their great frame and fork set.

It is a bike I feel confident on and off road, happy cruising or sitting on the rivet.  The Camino Ti is a great bike and has a little brother now in the Camino AL.  Both are worth researching and contacting Sonder (Alpkit) about.

Pack testing for the DR200.